- Students will learn to navigate and thrive within a new school, language, and culture.
- Students will develop beginning English language skills in the areas of listening, speaking, reading, and writing.
- Students will develop and strengthen academic and content vocabulary
- Topics and Big Ideas
- Beginning conversational English
- Beginning reading in English with a focus on phonics and fluency
- Grammar and writing mechanics
- Social vocabulary development
- Academic vocabulary development
- Essential Questions
- How can one express oneself in speaking and writing when not all vocabulary is known?
- What strategies and resources will help me learn English?
- How will learning a new language (English) enhance my life?
- A large amount of oral communication with other students
- The use of multiple mediums to present information
- Opportunities to demonstrate language comprehension through physical expression
- Culturally responsive teaching that uses students' home languages, cultures, and experiences as an asset.
Links to Resources
Rosetta Stone - contact Mr.Bartelt to set up an account
- Instructors: Timothy Bartelt