This personalized learning designed course is going to allow students to explore deeper into the increased health risks and topics that are plaguing our society today. Through discussing current events, political policies, and societal norms, it will allow students to analyze and apply knowledge to how the risks/topics not only impacts us personally but globally as well. They will develop a rational proposal to help improve lifestyle choices to make a healthy impact on community well-being and on their own personal well-being. As a final performance assessment they will present their proposal in the form of a health fair for the Greenfield Community.
This course builds upon the concepts/content of Freshman Health. Also, due to the expectations of student responsibility and maturity for this personalized learning curriculum, this course is for any Junior or Senior, and Sophomores who earned a B or higher in Health.
Key Course Learning Experiences
- This course is designed using interactive personalized learning to allow for personalized intertest.
- Allows students to critically think and dig deeper into current health topics of concern.
- Allows students to communicate with professional sources (Guest Community Speakers and others)
- Creates an atmosphere for creativity allowing students to present their research, goals, and persuade their audience of their stand.
- Gives the students an opportunity to explore their topic on a global level and how their topic not only affects us here but how it impacts others on a global perspective.
- Students are able to reflect on their own well-being.
- Evaluates concepts and influences related to health and disease while making connections can be made among local, regional, national, and global health trends/concerns - 60%
- Develops communication skills to enhance health and reduce risks - 25%
- Access credible sources and research accurate data to gain valuable information on a variety of health topics - 15%
Major Assessments and Success Criteria
Students will complete a Portfolio
Students will know they are successful if they can successfully demonstrate their ability to evaluate and communicate reliable health concepts throughout a collection of work.
Students will create and present a current health topic of concern at a health fair
Students will know they are successful if they can show their research and advocacy plan to help improve health topic of concern.